Managing People In Emergencies
A survival guide for humanitarian programme managers
The aim of this guide is to help you to create, manage and develop your team in an emergency.
It is based on the People In Aid Code of Good Practice and shares the code’s guiding principle that ‘People are central to the achievement of our mission’.
The material is in six sections. They will help you to:
- Plan and develop a useful human resources strategy
- Recruit staff effectively
- Deploy staff once recruited
- Manage your team and their performance
- Enable your team to develop and learn
- Manage the termination of staff contracts
Within each section:
- Major risks are identified and suggestions made about how to manage them
- Resources are provided to help you in your work.
- Case studies are used to illustrate what has happened in other programmes
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the following donors:
We also thank our peer reviewers:
- Christian Children's Fund
- InTuition Consultancy
- GPS Programme Management
- MD Management Development
- Save the Children UK
- Save the Children USA
- World Vision International